This ball of yarn gift wrap is such a cute and simple idea. It definitely has a Christmas look to it, but you could also use it for any occasion from birthdays, to anniversaries, to Valentine’s Day. It would be especially cute for any crocheters or knitters in your life.
1. Plain brown wrapping paper
4. Hot Glue Gun
1. Start by wrapping your gift in plain brown paper.
2. Make your yarn ball by winding together some yarn into a little ball. Every so often, add a dab of hot glue to the bottom so that the ball is secure.
3. Attach the ball to one end of the package. Then lay out your yarn where you think you want it to go. I made a little heart.
4. Start securing pieces of yarn in the shape you want. You don’t have to secure all of it. I used Elmer’s Dot Runner and it worked very well. It was easy to use and you can’t see it. You could also use a number of other adhesives.
5. I went back and changed the shape in a couple of places that were looking too angular. You still couldn’t see the dot runner.I also let the yarn run down the side of the package.
If you’re having trouble getting the yarn to take the shape you want, maybe try a different yarn. I first tried a thicker coarser yarn and it kept going in every direction. You could also lightly sketch your design with pencil and add little dabs of dot runner or glue dots along the path. Then add your yarn.
You could also try creating fun words in cursive like joy or noel. You could also use a sharpie to draw a little cat’s foot reaching for the yarn.
Amy W says
I am pinning this one!!
Amy W recently posted…How to make Gold Dipped Pencils
Kelly Hedgespeth of Simply Kelly Designs says
This is such a creative idea! I love the cat reaching for the yarn.
Kelly Hedgespeth of Simply Kelly Designs recently posted…Anne of Green Gables Pumpkin | An Alternative To Pumpkin Carving
This is so cute! I need to make eleventy billion of these, I love them!